Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Petal Pod

After my success with the improve blocks I thought I would try something completely different from Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe . The last (and maybe only) time I have used templates was for my Single Girl quilt. I didn't exactly love the process, but I loved the finished product. This is the Petal Pod quilt by Jessica of Twin Fibers.
 I really like all the negative space in this quilt, but also like that it is kind of a scrap quilt. You don't need a lot of fabric for each block. I would be quite easy to make smaller or bigger or change the shape completely.
I made two blocks exactly like the ones in the book and then thought I would try it without the strip in the middle. This is what I came up with. I like the two different shapes together and can see some different design possibilities here. As with my Single Girl I don't love cutting up fabric from templates, but I love the finished product so it is completely worth doing it.
 You still have a day to leave a comment here to win a copy of the book.

3 comments:

Lurline said...

Love how you have played, Kate! Must go and chevk the book again!
Hugs - Lurline.

Cass said...

Wow Kate I love it, it all works so lovely together

CitricSugar said...

Ooo-oooh! That's interesting… What a neat take on that idea!

And I have a love/hate relationship with templates, too. I like the results by the slower pace and higher skill level required put me off them usually. Maybe I'll develop more patience soon… :-)