Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Craft Camp Sewing Part 1

It is amazing how much sewing you can get done with no small people wanting food or having to sort out arguments etc. I made a Clothkits dress for each of the girls. Here is Eva 'modelling' hers. I am glad I made a size 4, I don't think a 3 would have fit for long.
I made myself a Schoolhouse Tunic. Before I left I read every review and looked at every picture,but despite the fact that most people who have my shape needed to alter the pattern quite a bit I thought it might magically fit me. It didn't and I think if I didn't have people helping me alter it it might have been tossed aside. I cut out the largest size based on the bust measurements. It was humungous and in the end I took it in quite a bit. If I make another one I will probably cut between a 10/12 and a 14/16. I took out the back pleat and the extra fabric completely and then sewed some elastic at the back on the inside to bring it in even more. I added an inch or two to the length as I cut it. I am glad I perservered as I love it. It is a really comfortable tunic.



Thanks to a suggestion from Kirsten and inspired by her neckpieces I kept knitting yesterday until I had this.

15 comments:

kirsten said...

hooray for you - ace little necklace there, lady!! and so glad you did persevere w that tunic - it looks SO good.

bec said...

Great tunic! I'm the same with the sizing, my first one looks like a tent now! How good is craft camp, can't believe you flew over for it, well done! You're looking a bit streamlined there too, so the gym may be worth it (not that you were fat before!) Love the model!

Naturally Carol said...

Did you make the necklace on your knitting machine? I love the look teamed with your dress. The red dress is lovely on your daughter too. You're having a very productive week..no failures to be seen.

Sue said...

What a cute dress Eva is wearing. I love your tunic and the necklace too!

Anonymous said...

SNAP!! i just cut this tunic out yesterday in some stretch black poplin for my 18 yo daughter! can't wait to sew it up now after seeing yours, i hope it fits her ok.
yours look fantastic Kate, as does eva's dress and your spunky neckpiece.


x

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the new outfits and that neckpiece is stunning! I did wonder what you were making on your knitting machine.

Jo said...

Your tunic is lovely - very simple, stylish and flattering. I've had the pattern hanging around for a while, I think I'll get it out and give it a go - thanks for the inspiration!

Lisa said...

Great looking tunic. I'm sure you'll get lots of wear out it over winter. My mum used to sew all my clothes from Clothkits when I was younger but I haven't had a chance to do the same for my girls yet. Their tunics look great as well.

Kris said...

You look fabulous in that tunic! Any angst you had while making it was soooooo worth it. Isn't it great to have clothes that fit properly. Evie's looking pretty fabulous too!

A Red Ham said...

I think the tunic looks great & the knitted necklace just tops it off. The outfits you make from Clothkits are great. I must look into them for my little monkeys.

michelle said...

so, so, so lovely to meet you Kate and spend some time with you. You really did take home a hoarde of beautiful finished projects.

Congrats on the necklace - you are a superstar!

Carolyn said...

Cute dress Eva is wearing! You look fabulous in that tunic too!

Homeowner Insurance

HeavenLee Creations said...

Dress looks great Kate, I hope you gets lots of wear of it.

Hosted Exchange Email said...

Just so amazing it is! Keep up the work!

Anonymous said...

I have that schoolhouse tunic pattern, of course it's just sitting there.

I think it looks cute, especially with the boots.